December 28, 2005
We hope you enjoyed yourselves as you read about some of our adventures in the past year. These blog entries only touch on some of the pieces of our lives over the past year.
We are grateful for another year of health, fun, love and life. Gary and I both feel like we are entering some of the best years with our kids, enjoying them more and more with each passing month. This is not to say that we don't have challenges as a family - we do - it's just that we are finding so many opportunities to spend time with our kids in ways that make our lives so full. Lately, Gary has been teaching Matt and Kate how to play Crib. He loves it when they beat him, which they do quite often. No one has skunked him, but it's come awfully close! He also takes the boys to the church gym every week to practice their baseball skills with Rob and Robbie Brooks who are excellent teachers / coaches. Gary also enjoys coaching the boys in baseball and Kate's grade 9 basketball team.
In July, Gary narrowly escaped death on the Vedder River. He took Jonathan and Kate down the river on inner tubes and although they were wearing lifejackets, he was sucked underneath a log, caught in a tremendously powerful current. Friends who work in Search and Rescue on that river say that he should not have had the strength to pull himself out from that situation. He did, however, pull himself away from the log and with his last fight for life heaved his body over the top of the log. We visited the location several times after this near-death experience and continue to be amazed that he got out alive.
For all of this we are very grateful.
Many of you know that Gary and I have been through a number of very difficult years that include Gary's depression and his step out of ministry a number of years ago. For me, I've faced all that it takes to support each other and a family when life isn't following an easy path. Through this, I've had the opportunity to start Stir Communications Group with a great partner, Brent Purves. This business brings me great satisfaction and allows me to be at home every afternoon when the kids get home from school. This is a great improvement over the years I commuted to Langley and only arrived home at 6pm.
As we look back at 2005, it is with gratefulness that we consider all that God has carried us through. My prayer for Gary throughout his illness was that he could find a place to thrive - that has happened at Broadway Church - a safe place where God is using Gary's gifts to encourage and teach. His role as lead pastor isn't always easy, but he really loves it- and the church loves him. He has now been lead pastor at Broadway Church for 2.5 years.
We are also very appreciative for all of our friends who have cared and carried us through so much. Our Care Group at church has been a real source of genuine encouragement and support. Two of the women painted our kitchen and family room last spring and the walls really look wonderful (red pepper and goldenrod). Others have known about our situation and prayed for us and stood by us - thank you. We know more now than ever that we couldn't survive without people who can share our lives with us and embrace us for who we are.
Music has always been a healing for both Gary and I - for Gary especially as he plays piano and sings for hours each week. What a gift he has to be able to play like he does - the whole family loves his piano playing. We are very grateful for the piano we inherited from his grandma that allows him to enjoy his musical gift at home. This year, many songs have had special meaning, but a particular one that has had meaning for us lately is Jeremy Camp's song, Trust in You, since it describes how we've made it through the past few years (and will make it through many more):
I can't see you
I know your there
I can feel you
I will not fear
I will trust in you and
I will not be afraid
When the battle is close at hand
Though you're with me
You help me stand
I will trust in you
And i will not be afraid
i will not be afraid
i will not be afraid
I will trust in you
I will trust in you
I will trust in you
When the darkness is close at hand
And i'm running against the wind
I will trust in you
And i will not be afraid
When i'm standing upon that shore
Of the battle
Have gone before
I will trust in you
And i will not be afraid
I will not be a fraid
I will not be afraid
I will trust in you
Wednesday, December 28, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
you guys are so grand. i was so glad to see your email. loved reading your blogs and looking at pix...must say there is a decided lack of photos of yon lovely sharon...what's up with that?! i expect some pix and soon. i will be checking back to make sure.
off to get my kidlets in bed. alone for the evening, so am tricking them into thinking it's already bedtime. good thing the two youngest don't know how to tell time and connor is too absent minded and/or distracted to check for himself. who says a.d.d. can't be good sometimes, mwaaah-hahahahaha...(diabolical laughter peeters out).
later simpsons & blessings upon you,
luana
Great update! Nice photography too! Thanks for keep us connected.
I ran out of "free" photo hosting space for december, so tomorrow I will have more space and will put up some better pictures of myself and Gary. Since I'm the photographer for the family, there aren't many shots of me to choose from... oh well. : )
Hi gang, Dan Meyer and I (Rio) felt really old looking at your pictures and we felt blessed reading your update. We are glad that everyone is doing so well. Dan said he will look you guys up when he returns to Van to continue his M Div at Regent. God bless you all.
Post a Comment